Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Week 7:The Novel of Spiritual Education

Harry Potter is a probably the most popular fiction movie of my generation. I have read the Harry Potter and the Sorcecer's Stones in elementary School and absolutely loved it. It was really fun to read it again this week because you notice so much you never did. When I first read it, I just read it as it is. Just story after a story. Rereading it now, I notice so much depth in characters and symbolisms.

One of the biggest element that struck me was the Mirror of Erised. The mirror reveals the character's deepest desire. It really reflects the characteristics of the person looking into the mirror. I felt that "desire" plays a big motif throughout the novel. The sorcerer's stone is another element symbolizing desire for power and strength. Greed is portrayed in Lord Voldemort which backs him evil.


Rereading the novel, I developed a new favorite towards Hagrid. I think its great how he is this huge man with the sweetest heart. He is clumsy, yet loving. There is a great contrast in Hagrid. His love for weird creatures and animals are so hilarious because it is evident that everyone else is freaked out about it, yet he has a great care and love for creepy creatures.

No comments:

Post a Comment