Monday, February 16, 2015

Week 6: A Rich Fantasy Life

For this week's reading I read the Hobbit. I really enjoyed this reading a lot. I have never read any of Tolkein's novel or watched any of his film. I love the creativity of the characters in the Hobbit. Tolkein really focuses on describing all of the characters in great depth.

My favorite part about the book is when the Bilbo, Gandalf, and the dwarves went to Beom's house. The dwarves were entering the home two at a time because there were so many of them and they did not want to upset Beom. There were so many dwarves that every minute they were knocking on the door and would enter without listening to Beom. I looked up this scene on youtube and I felt that the movie captured this scene very well. It was very comedic. I love how everyone seem to make themselves at home regardless of Beom's reaction. They created a huge feast and just started eating all his food. It is funny because they are so polite and sweet, yet they are being very intrusive.

My favorite part of the Hobbit movie is when golem is looking for the ring and he is freaking out. I felt that the acting of golem was really well done. It really shows the important of the ring and the characteristic of what the ring makes you. Golem seems delusional about the ring.

Holkein's Hobbit is about the hero's journey. It encounters problems and there is a huge character development from the beginning of the novel to the end. It seems like a simple story line, but there is so much depth in how the characters are challenged. The challenges really reveals personalities.

No comments:

Post a Comment